Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Soundtracks to Write By

Maybe it's just me, but when I write or draw, I need music. And not just background noise. I need a particular song or sound for a particular scene. Sometimes, one song is perfect for an entire story (mind you, I talking short stories.)

For example, the soundtrack for Crossfire is looking a little like this right now:
Crossfire-Brandon Flowers
When You Were Young- The Killers
Like A Prayer-Madonna
Copacabana - Barry Manilow (Perfect for a bar scene that will happen later in the story)
Hands Clean-Alanis Morrisette
Warning Sign- Coldplay
Hollaback Girl vs. Give It To Me - DJ Hero Mash-up (Technically, more for a drawing, but still)

The track listing for DW:Tangled (which will be getting a better name because...I may have, kinda sorta got attached to the artwork and started plotting out a story in which Drake and LP are accused of stealing a crown, run away from St. Canardia only to find themselves as the unofficial bodyguards of a maiden with ridiculously long hair -Marty- and her witchy gal pal - Morgana- and so on and so forth. Way more details on that later ;) ) looks a bit like this:
I See The Light- Mandy Moore and Zach Levi
Something That I Want - Grace Potter
In The Sun - She & Him
The Way - Fastball
Kingdom Dance- Tangled OST
Ramalama Bang Bang- Roisin Murphy (this one is for when Magica DeSpell shows up)
The Rhythm of Love - Plain White T's

Even my Nano Novel, current DW storylines and Chasing Lily scripts all have soundtracks. I'm almost tempted to include a track listing of all the songs just to add to the mood of my stories. I'm not too sure how well that would go over, but it's a thought.

1 comment:

  1. I love your song list... they're all over the map, which is cool :D A She and Him song is even in there! I haven't heard it (I only know one of their songs so why I act like I'm in the know and all cool is beyond me) but I like their style on the one I did hear. ^_^

    I don't have enough for a full soundtrack on any fics but I do have a "soundtrack" playlist to put on when I write in general... they tend to be more thematic, with a couple of exceptions that correspond to specific scenes. "That Kind of Love" by Allison Krauss ended up defining a scene in one recent fic (of the soul-crushing variety... which is funny b/c lyrically it's not a sad song, but the way it's sung it's very lonely and full of longing).

    Oh, and my halloween fic "The House on Avian Way" is set to the soundtrack of "Beetlejuice". Some scenes are even meant to be paced to certain particular tracks.

    And inexplicably I have several songs by Alice Cooper on there, which don't correspond to anything except they remind me of Negaduck, whom I've only written twice. O_o

    ReplyDelete