Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Don't Panic

Ah, Coldplay. I find it ironic that I'm listening to that song in particular and still panicking. Why?

Uh, only because between  taping my notes back together and chasing my baby sister and brother around the house, this realization (or rather, this fear) struck me : Would Launchpad really fall for a girl like Marty? Do I even do his character any justice in my writing? What the hell am I doing?

I'm about four chapters into Crossfire right now. I was planning on posting the first one today on DeviantArt and FF.Net. But after reading it again last night, there's no way. I mean, I did go back and switch a lot of things and tried to change the tone a bit. The first go round, I know I made him angsty. Instead, I wanted it to be more...the only way I can explain it is that for whatever reason, some random memory is triggered and it just kinda throws you off kilter a little. So I tried to change that.

But then there's his reunion with Marty which is supposed to be this extremely tense and uncomfortable moment. And then I think....would he hold a grudge? Not even a grudge, but the way Marty left the first time basically leaves LP feeling just a little abandoned. I mean, they've known each other since pre-school, best friends and as they got older, they were too afraid to end their friendship so that they could try dating each other. Does it even make sense for him to feel angry when he sees her?

Then there's just Marty in general. I mean, yes, she's pretty and a pilot. She's also a SHUSH agent, can drink most of her co-workers under the table and has a mean right hook. She's low maintenance for the most part, kind of a tomboy...Holy crap, she's Gracie Hart. (No, wait, that's not a bad thing. Actually, Miss Congeniality was a big inspiration in creating Marty.) Still,  would Launchpad fall for someone like that? Or would they just be friends? I mean, I like them as a couple. But I'm biased, of course.

I don't know. As it is, I still think I screw up Morgana and Drake horribly too. In Crossfire, they're more of the comic relief simply because I always felt they played off of each other really well. Then again, the last time I wrote anything with those two, I felt like I had completely butchered both of them too...

Ugh...darn self-doubt :(

No comments:

Post a Comment